BWC Playmaker Basketball Academy based at Bracknell and Wokingham College has joined forces with the SB Group, Playmaker and Bracknell Cobras to offer an elite opportunity for young, aspiring basketball players between the ages of 16-19 years old, offering the chance to develop their skills and maximise their potential both on and off the court. We are developing a Basketball academy in the heart of Bracknell where committed players can get the chance to train while pursuing their education.
Players will have the chance to benefit from Playmakers elite training methods and BWC’s modern facilities with a focus on skill development and enhanced playing experience. We will provide the opportunity for players to become PLAYMAKERS!!!
The highest standards of behaviour and discipline will be expected both on and off the court and completion of College work will be a prerequisite to any playing opportunities.
Martin Amoo-Gottfried, Director of Basketball and Head coach, will be leading the academy by working hands-on with the development of these talented young basketball players. Coach Martin has been successful during both a playing and coaching career. Having won League and National titles while attending US college on a basketball scholarship. He also played professionally in the BBL and for the GB National team.
“The opportunities available to players today are much greater then when I started. But the fundamentals remain the same. The experiences I have gained through the rough and smooth of trying to attain my dreams of playing Basketball for a living have really helped me as a coach. To understand what the players are going through and being able to relate too and advise them is crucial to players maximising their potential. Basketball taught me a myriad of life lessons that I use long after my playing career finished. I hope I can pass these on to all of our players” - Coach Martin
The Academy Key Objectives:
· To develop a high-profile elite basketball academy for 16-19-year olds that annually compete for national championships within top-tier domestic basketball leagues.
To provide accessible pathways to a quality education alongside professional basketball coaching for all academy players.
· To maintain a positive culture of excellence through the academy.
· To develop the leadership skills, Overall character and essential life-skills through basketball for all our enrolled players
· To deliver vocational training, accredited coaching and officiating courses for all enrolled players and the wider BWC student body.
· To provide committed players with the right work ethic pathways to pursue basketball at a higher level. We will offer opportunities to gain exposure to our US/UK network of coaches and organise tours to boost player experience and exposure.
· To support talented players through to gain scholarships to basketball universities in the USA and the UK as a part of the pathway.
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
The BWC Playmaker Academy provides a unique opportunity for students aged 16 to 19 to receive a minimum of 10 hours a week of high-quality Basketball training Monday to Friday whilst also playing competitive matches against other colleges/teams/academies and clubs.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT…
· 10hrs of Basketball development per week inclusive of on-court training, Games Programme in league and cup competitions and Strength and Conditioning development.
· A range of courses available including BTECs Level 1 to Level 3 Extended Diploma and A-Level Study Package (wide variety of A Level subjects to choose from). Courses can be 1, 2 or 3 years in length as long as they are classed FE not HE.
· Compulsory completion of Functional Skills/G.C.S.E in English and Maths if not already achieved.
· Basketball training and Basketball specific fitness sessions delivered by PLAYMAKER qualified coaches and complimentary staff
· Personalised analysis on training and performance levels
· Nutrition plan and guidance
· Full training kit (small cost)
· Subsidised gym membership
· Regular use of court facilities at College
· Opportunity to gain hands on experience in other non-playing aspect of Basketball (Game day Set up, Statistical analysis, Video production and editing, Promotion and marketing of games, Social media engagement)
· Opportunity to complete level 1 & 2 coaching awards in basketball, referee and table officials courses- which will enable you to work within the basketball industry, with a chance to get immediate experience and earn money through our Playmakers partner clubs and universities on successful completion
· Opportunity to play National league basketball with our partner club, Bracknell Cobras.
BWC Playmakers Basketball Academy really does truly offer students an opportunity to combine a solid education with an elite basketball programme. We can offer on-site accommodation or local home-stays if you are not local to Bracknell. Students may also be eligible for the 16-19 bursary to help towards travel costs. For further information contact Academy Manager Ruth Fettes: